Wednesday 16 March 2022

Disappearing 4-Patch

So, I made a mini!

I was looking through lots of 'disappearing' quilt block ideas, when I realised that I'd never actually made a two colour 4-patch disappearing quilt.

I didn't want to invest lots of time or fabric into this mini trial, so I started with 2.5" squares.

Just a 24 squares to start me off - less than two 'width of fabric' 2.5" strips.

Then I sewed them into four patches.  each 4.5" square.
Then time to slice and dice.  I wondered about cutting 3/4" each side of the centre seam, but realised that it gave me too fat a 'slice' of the centre portions, so I reduced it to 1/2" each side of the centre.

Cutting first.

Turning the centre strips to give the contrast required.
Sewing the resulting 9-patch together.



Repeat 6 times, and sew the blocks together.

I have to be honest, some were more accurate than others.

If I'd started off with 10" squares of fabric I'm sure that it wouldn't have been noticed, but it's all a bit 'on show' when you make small quilts!

Then it was time to back and baste before the quilting happened.

I started with a wiggly spine feather, then filled in all around it with 'graffiti' quilting - just some doodling with needle and thread.


 A narrow binding and a little hanging sleeve to complete it.  Finished size 6.5" x 9.5".


Gotta love diseappearing blocks!

1 comment:

  1. oooh you are streaming through the samples! this is great!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.