Tuesday, 24 April 2018
Fun to make. You can see where I sewed lines (from behind, using the paper piecing lines) to show me where to sew it to the inner wheel and later to the rest of the quilt top.
I think that next time I'll do it without any thread, just leaving me the holes in the fabric to guide me.
I should have pressed it before I took a photo really!
Kempton Steam Museum which was in steam last weekend (and will be again for another five weekends or so during the year - if you can get to south west London to see it I'd recommend it!).
Magnificent and on a scale bigger than I'd realised. This triple expansion steam engine is about 6 stories high - and the two fly wheels that you can see here are 32 tons each! Apparently they were made in two halves, and the maximum weight that could be carried on the railway wagons of the time was 16 tons. Fascinating stuff.
Hampton and Kempton Waterworks Railway. Cute little steam engine (working every Sunday afternoon and museum weekends from March until November). They are using this to promote / provide experience for an exciting project, which is to relay track from here to Hampton following the old track which was laid in WW1 to provide easy access to coal brought up the Thames.
A laudable project and one that I'm fully in favour of!
We didn't spend a lot of time at these attractions, but I've come away inspired to try and use some of the aspects of them in a quilt design.
Wednesday, 18 April 2018
I got out all my left over rectangles (8" x 4")and left over squares (1 3/4"square)....
This has left me with a pile of lozenges - but no real design layout in mind for them!
Of course, I realise now that if I'd planned it out first that it might have been a better idea and that I might get a better result! Lesson learned.
When I get some more sewing time I will play with layouts until I get something that works for me. Always fun to play!
Wednesday, 11 April 2018
As well as this we were encouraged to put the central area of our quilt top together - but for some reason I don't seem to have taken a photo of that!
More time spent on school holiday fun than on sewing this week!
Tuesday, 3 April 2018
I'm really pleased with how it came out - even to having the perfect colour backing for it already in my stash! It was a sheet gifted to me by a friend when she emigrated to Australia, just one of many pieces of household linen that has supported my quilting over the years! Thanks Kate!
I LOVE how complex the pattern looks. It is just one block repeated 25 times: 13 times with white and dark purple, 12 times with white and lighter purple. It just looks a lot more complicated than that when you put them together.
I think that this might be a pattern that I return to - and I might even make a tutorial so that you could make one too if you wanted to.
I used one of the blocks again, but used sashing and HSTs to make it up to 20" so that it would accommodate the folded quilt easily.
I'm pleased to say that I had it labelled, washed and dried in time to hand over as planned. I'm even more happy to say that Grandma Greenwood, who had asked for it to be made and specified the colours, seems really pleased with it. It will be gifted to her friend at the end of the month where I hope that it will be equally well received.
Off to start my next Aves blocks now - it looks like a big week as there are some mid point assembly instructions too - very exciting!