Tuesday, 30 June 2015
No 'proper' photos of the whole thing, as it's about 72" wide, so hard for me to get a full shot without involving two people to hold it for me!
What you can see here is one of the diamonds that is filled with quilting.
Each diamond is 15" square and each one took about 2 hours to quilt.
I started off with a couple of circles in each square but it was pretty difficult to see the blue wash out pen on the blue fabric, so I only used a circle construct on the centre diamond, shown below.
It's just as well that my new spools of white cotton arrived, even at 50wt each diamond took at least a bobbin full of thread, showing just how dense it is!
As you can see, I just used 1" wide parallel lines aside from the FMQ panels.
Next I'll be adding the binding and the hanging sleeve before washing out the blue guide lines.
Tuesday, 23 June 2015
Party cake was a replica (well, almost, my family pointed out all the errors like missing a crucial gap / obstacle) of the floating obstacle course that she and her friends had traversed for the first part of the party.
It seemed to go down well, and, of course, we have another set of Playmobil swimmers to add to our large stash of playthings!
The birthday went well, with friends, family and fun all day long.
here if you feel inspired to make your own).
I'm delighted with how it looks! 60" square is as big as I want to deal with when I'm quilting something though!
Its been such a lovely project and a good way to use some of my blue scraps!
You might just be able to make out the different scale of the quilting in the scallops and hearts border - much smaller and tighter. It makes the applique shapes stand out a little, which is what I want.
This is my 'round robin' quilt - laid out, basted and ready for me to start quilting. The ruler, plates and bowls were all to help me make some marks to guide my quilting. I'm planning to start with a some walking foot squares and than add in some free motion quilting.
This plan might have to go on hold for the moment, though, as I've just discovered that I'm almost out of the white thread that I'm planning to use. Perhaps I'll start and see how far I get!
Hope that you are having a good week with your chosen craft too!
Tuesday, 16 June 2015
Another finish for my Project Linus pile and a little more out of the scrap drawers! Almost completed in March.....but I'm happy to have finished it now!
Once I'd hit on my size and shape (I've decided on a wall hanging for above where a new sofa bed will go once the building work is complete) it was straightforward to decide on a layout for the existing strips. I just needed one more strip to complete it. So, by next week I hope to have completed the top, basted it, and perhaps even to have started quilting it. A girl can hope!
My other sewing project this week has been to make these 'anti-ouch pouches' - underarm cushions with a strap to hold them in place. If you know someone who undergoes breast cancer surgery please think about making one or two of these for them. They are fast to make (about 30 minutes including stuffing and finishing, I should think) and can make people much more comfortable.
I'm sending lots of good wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery to my cousin Jilly.
Wednesday, 10 June 2015
Its not as big as the space that I usually have, but I realise that I am lucky to be able to dedicate any space at all to it!
I've only sewn through a pile of paper once (so far!) whilst quilting. Not to self to remove ALL loose items from the surfaces first!
I started with the back of the binding on this little ' Angelika' (small quilt from leftovers of a bigger quilt). I couldn't quite remember when I'd made it - but searching back on the blog I mentioned it and it's big sister in early March, so it was due to be finished!
So, this hand quilting (from before my hand problems) on my Love Entwined will stay, but not be joined by any more.
I carried on using the same King Tut variegated quilting thread. The texture is very different to hand quilting, but it won't be clogging my mind as an unfinished piece!
Look carefully and you'll see a snake coming out of one of the flowers on the left of this bouquet.
(Shown before I stitched the hanging sleeve down).
I've really enjoyed making this, but I'm also happy that its finished so that I'll be able to display it (once the builders are through with making dust!).
I've just started quilting my Heart It quilt now, so still plenty more fun to be had in my little quilting space!
Wednesday, 3 June 2015
What you can't see is all the dust hanging in the air from when they took the ceiling down. We live next to a railway, and it looked as though there were a lot of steam train smuts from the pre-electric era that had gathered under that slate roof and above the ceiling. Black dust everywhere, despite the best efforts of the builders to contain it!
So far, just the cosmetic work has been started, and scaffolding put up outside.
Soon they will be taking down the left hand wall and building a 'floating' extension.
I've retreated to my 'cave' - our bedroom which is now home to my sewing machine, PC and our 'important' paperwork!
We both like coming across labyrinths in the underground stations. Just the sort of thing to help calm the mind, either from the concern about the builders starting or the excitement of a first trip to Oxford Street shops!
I did manage to get the Heart It quilt basted last week, before the dust descended. As it's 60" square I'm working up to the idea of quilting it in my temporarily reduced space by quilting another project instead - I hope to have a photo or two to show you next week!
Hope that you are enjoying some early summer crafting!