Wednesday, 30 May 2018
This time working through the short lengths of 2 1/2" strips and the various lengths of 1 1/4" strips.
Shown here are a few of the 'yellow' and 'green' blocks.
I've made 15 yellows and 13 greens. Still to work on the purples, blues, neutrals, pinks....
I went 'quick and dirty' with a HST background and fusible applique machined down. Fun to make. I admire the people who are making a carefully pieced background and hand appliqueing the pieces to it - but it just wasn't what I wanted to do this week.
Tuesday, 22 May 2018
I'm prevaricating at the moment. It's pinned to my wall whilst I decide what I should do. It may be that weeks 16 / 17 of my Aves quilt aren't as finished as they should be if I do decide to re-do their coupling.
We've each been given a piece of this fabric - mine was roughly 6" x 8" (thank you Benta for nabbing and sending me this in my absence from the meeting!).
We were then challenged to make an 8" square quilt where the fabric could still be recognised.
This is called 'Don't Fence Me In'.
All three quilts use fusible applique (so I lost as little of the challenge fabric as possible) and machine stitching.
All good fun! I'm now planning to go back to my scrap drawers and start a new scrap project.
Happy sewing everyone!
Wednesday, 16 May 2018
It finishes at 36" x 46".
The blocks in the centre are 'lozenges' (rectangles with the corners 'snowballed') which used up some particular size of squares that I had. Then I had almost enough rectangles to create a border around them. Just five more needed to be cut - one from a scrap of fabric that I had beside my sewing machine, four for the corners from another left over piece.
I relived some of the happy memories of making the quilt for him and his wife and of the phone call from him on his wedding day, with their 'thank you' for the quilt.
I wouldn't think that a simple measurement could bring all that back so vividly! I'm almost sad that I've used all of them now - although happy that I've made a further dent in my scrap drawers!
Another quilt for Project Linus is complete!
Wednesday, 9 May 2018
This is how the block started out. I have to confess to a couple of mis-cuts but I didn't do too badly with the instructions that we were given by Katherine Kerr.
I suspect that next week we'll be making a flying geese surround for it.
Wednesday, 2 May 2018
Lucky that they were both nice and easy to complete, once the fabrics were decided upon and cut!
More hours (many more hours!) spent on starting to change my email addy in the myriad places that it is used as I will be changing from next month, than spent on delicious sewing - sigh!
Never mind, at least when it's complete I'll feel pleased!