Wednesday 23 March 2022

Delectable Mountains for Good Friends.

A striking design!

I have some very good friends who got married, so obviously, I wanted to make them a quilt.

One wanted rich, dark colours.

One wanted something brighter.

They compromised on 'New England Fall'.  My photos don't do justice to the red, but despite wondering if I should dot the colour blocks around the quilt, like different trees colouring at different times, I went with stripes, moving out from bright to dark.

The quilting - in rich yellow - was mostly a meander, but with leaves and a few flowers included.
Some simpler than others, but overall I was happy with the effect.
The bulk of the top is made of 'delectable mountains' - a 'disappearing' block that starts with half square triangles.

This was my chosen block as they live within sight of Snowdonia.


The backing was some mad owl fabric that was in my stash.

And the final blocks might just look like a counterchange block to you, but I'm hoping that they will be able to squint and see it as a D (gold) and J (brown), which are the initials of the couple.
Here it is thrown over the sofa in my craft room, just before it was packed up and sent off.

Hope that they enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it!

Approximately 60" square.
 

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous finish on this!! I love the colors...I'll bet they are thrilled...;))) lovely work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way we can see more mountains in the distance - perfect colour choices! I've never made this one and can't see how it's done, the D and J are very clever!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.