Wednesday, 25 November 2020
Wednesday, 18 November 2020
The idea tickled my fancy. A small casket or holder that would be just perfect for making a change to the usual wallet that Christmas cash presents might be gifted in.
Wednesday, 11 November 2020
That's what happened to me!
The answer? To look at my list of quilts that I'd like to make someday (it lives just behind my computer, handily enough!), grab the nearest pile of fabric, and start cutting!
I've teamed them with a pale grey and started making Mountain blocks, using the method that Bonnie Hunter shows here.
It won't be the scrappiest quilt, but even with the first few blocks made I was wondering what layout I was going going to use!
Plenty of time to decide once I've made more blocks!
Wednesday, 4 November 2020
They are designed to be hung either as a block like this - roughly 24" each way (not quite square - it was an evolving decision about how they could be presented!).
I hope that they bring a smile when they arrive!
Now I need to put away my green threads and decide what to make next.
Wednesday, 28 October 2020
I'm pleased with this - I confess to using a couple of gum tree images from the internet to help me get the essential form of a gum tree, then I just free styled the leafy areas.
Of course, whilst I was reviewing the hangings, I remembered that I'd thought that it would be nice to tie them together still further by adding fabric gum leaves to them all.
This weeks task will be to decide where and how to attach them, and to finally get to three completely finished hangings!
Thursday, 22 October 2020
This is one of the small ones. Simple hand applique with a quilted background.
Below is the larger central piece with this one alongside it.
This week I want to start on my third, which will see a decent amount of thread sketching again.
Wednesday, 14 October 2020
I'm also pretty sure that the right order is to complete the stitching on it before blocking and trimming it.
But is that what I did? NO! I blocked it. I trimmed it. I laid it down on the floor whilst I worked on something else - but it kept catching my eye. The section of background was too dark, and the other trees weren't standing out against it.
Can you see the difference between to the two shots, one before, one after? I'm pleased with the lightening up of the areas, I think.
Idea for using a decorative stitch like this gleaned from looking at some of Anne Kelly's work....
Of course, I've now got more lumps and bumps to deal with. It needs to be blocked again, and it will be with hope rather than expectation that I will actually able able to get it to lie flat once more.
Wish me luck!
Wednesday, 7 October 2020
This is the start of a small hand stitched peice, with patterns based on a printed fabric that I liked.
I can't remember where I got this piece of silk from. It's clearly the leavings of a dressmaker, but I'm not sure where I got it from, perhaps my late MiL.
It will grow slowly, just a few stitches each day.
The other project is only similar in that it is stitched through wadding! This is the back of it, showing the dense machine quilting - still to be finished, as it is a landscape that is only quilted as far as the horizon currently and it also needs some more thread sketching for additional details too. I think that the biggest challenge will be blocking it at the finish to try and persuade it to lie flat!
Wednesday, 30 September 2020
I used this fun fabric (thanks, Kate!) showing Sydney Harbour scenes to make a quilted holder for a recently purchased nail filer gadget.
Failed to find my iron on fusible waterproofing, so they are made with a loose layer of PVC, only caught to the fabric where the hem is. We'll see how they last.
There is never any reason to be bored when you have plenty of fabric, thread and a needle!
Wednesday, 23 September 2020
This is one of my favourites! I think that the mix of colours makes it more interesting than the other two that were made with these type of blocks.
Something to think about next time Georgie has sufficient scraps to make a batch of blocks.
I do love the mix of fabrics in these scrap quilts!
Another finish, ready for donation.
Wednesday, 16 September 2020
This time I have a shot of her laying out the blocks to make the design, after she'd sewn them and I'd trimmed them for her.
Georgie is very excited about the prospect of being able to pass on quilts to Project Linus or similar. It really pleases her that there is no waste from her fabric wrapping business.
Wednesday, 9 September 2020
Mostly blue, I extended it with some warmer colours through the centre one way, and some neutrals though the centre the other way.
You can see that this one was quilted with a big meander.
Binding was made from a cheerful blue spot.
Another donation quilt from Georgie's scraps. They really have built up over the year!
Wednesday, 2 September 2020
40" square, lots of different pinks made into 'crumb' blocks on the front and then joined together.
Another time I might try sashing them instead, rather than joining them edge to edge.
Now on to the next scrap quilt!
Wednesday, 26 August 2020
40" x 40" makes it an OK size for a baby as either a quilt or a playmat.
I've made some other scrap blocks too, so they will be put together once this top has been basted, quilted and bound.
Wednesday, 19 August 2020
These are some of Georgie's FabWraps scraps generated by a year of making bags and wraps.
I've sorted them into colour families.
I've arranged roughly by length.
I've dived in to start making blocks.
Not bad for 'free' fabric - all too small to be made into bags, but not too small to be made into quirky blocks to make quilts.
More colours to work on. More fun to be had!
Of course, after that we'll have to work out useful layouts and complete the quilts. Just my sort of projects!