Wednesday 26 May 2021

(Mini) Gallery Opening (or how to spend time in the most delicious way!)

Yes!  My own mini gallery!

Turns out that all you need to have a gallery opening is a little time, an old mailing box and a sense of fun!

Many thanks are due to Leslie of Berry Birdy who set me off down this creative rabbit hole.  Find her on instagram and then you can see lots of other micro mini quilts too!


These were my first two foray's into the microminisal (sew along).  The idea was to create quilts that were 2" or less (or was it 2.5"? I'm not sure).

The pale pink star was my first attemplet, but I wasn't very pleased with the lumpy binding.

The dark pink star came next, with a neater binding.
Then I went slightly ambitious and tried my hand at a bargello (and made a smaller 'flip' quilt with the leftovers).
By now I needed a gallery space for them, of course!

Leslie herself made a gallery in a drawer - so cute - but I wanted something that would pack up easily.

I grabbed a mailer box and some magnetic tape.
Then added some foam tape.  This means that the quilts should invisibly hang on the metal hangers on the magnetic strip (and allow for gallery rearrangements!) but that the walls will stay vertical with the support of the foam tape.
Then I added the paper walls.  

Later, I printed out a sign (and an A board to let visitors know that the gallery was open.  Oh, and then I quilted a floor too.
What then?  More micro minis.  Sorry for the poor photo quality - but this one had a fussy cut centre, and finished at 3/4" square.

The biggest challenge will be not to lose it!
Then another that was a refreshingly large 2" square medallion quilt.
Yesterday I made a hexie quilt, but at 2.5" square it's almost too big for the gallery, cute though it is!

I plan to try and find some smaller hexie papers (or make some) to see if I can make one that is a little smaller.

Can you tell that I'm having fun?  

If you have a few spare minutes and some fabric scraps I can heartily recommend it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.