Wednesday 17 January 2024

Bench covers re-done.

My kitchen benches (two storage ottamans) were needing an update on the quilts that we use to cover them.

This is how they look now, with their new finery quilted on.

This is the third time that I've used the main materials.  

I made two quilts originally (cream and blue hourglass pattern with the floral shown here on the back).  When the quilt got a little too worn, I covered the fronts with new quilt tops, made from the favourite blue and green batiks.

Now the batiks are, in turn, getting a bit too worn.  You can see them here.

This time, I'm covering over the floral back, and 'facing the new quilt top onto the old quilt, apart from one side which has been chopped off to match the new shape of the quilt top.


 You can see that  I had to lose about 5" - it's probably going to be better, as the amount that was tucked down the back of the bench was quite a lot before, so it should be more manageable now!

A simple nine patch with sashing was what I decided on, with plenty of meander quilting to keep everything together.

It's the last time that I'll give these particular quilts a 'do over' though, as the extra layers of fabric on them have made them surprisingly heavy to help through the machine when I'm quilting them!  All new wadding and backing next time.

Still, as the old ones have managed a creditable 18 years, I don't think that they owe me anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.