Wednesday 21 April 2021

I should have started with a plan.....

I wanted to make a quilt with a simple pattern and decided to use up some of my pink and blue/white stash, where I knew that I only had limited amounts of them.  Of course, the 'limited' bit already tells it's own story.

I planned to make 6" finished squares, knew that I could get two from a width of fabric x 2.5", so I cut 4 strips from six fabrics and mixed them up a bit.

For some reason I thought that this would give me almost 100 squares, rather than approximately half that number.  Oops!

Never mind, I thought.  I'll just make the same again.  No, not possible, as I had only limited amount of these fabrics......

I decided that I could add in one more fabric, and make some solid rather than 'square in a square' blocks, and reduce the size to nine blocks square instead of ten blocks square.

A little time with my cross stitch program (it's a really easy way to see where to put blocks, if you are working the wrong way round, like I was, and making a design to use a specific number of blocks, not making the number of blocks for a design, which is more usual!).


Then I laid them out on the floor, paired them up ready to sew, and started chain peicing them.

It won't be long until I have a quilt top ready to iron, back / baste and quilt!

In the mean time I shall cut a binding from whatever I have enough of, and put everything else into my scrap drawers.  It's soon going to be time to address those drawers again, as they are getting to be hard to close.

Hope that you have a fun project to enjoy this week too!
 

3 comments:

  1. Oooh this will be such a pretty quilt--great save to use plain blocks every once in a while...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s my experience nearly every quilt 🤦‍♀️😂. Love the colour combos and the additional squares work perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.