Wednesday 22 July 2020

Lockdown Block

Our local Mayor has invited all residents of Richmond Borough to contribute to a 'lockdown memorial quilt'.

I think that it's an interesting idea, and I started to wonder about designs, and what my thoughts were during the time of lockdown.

I realised that they were a bit of a mixed bag, some good, some bad - so I was going to have a 'two sides' vibe going on.

 I wanted the fact that it was based in health / medicine to be the biggest feature, so used the symbol for medicine and healing (the Rod of Asclepius) and a simplified rainbow - so often seen to represent thanks to the NHS and other key workers - to make the key parts of a set of scales.

I added COVID-19 to the rod, and Lockdown 2020 to the base.

Then I added in some of the words that were important - so great things, like 'The Royal Mail', contrasted with 'Missing out' and 'Cancelled plans'.

Finally I added my name and those of my family members in the corners.  Originally I was going to put one name in each corner, but couldn't bear to put any of us under the weight of the lockdown 'bad' - so put a house symbol there and moved both girls names to the left hand side.

It will be fascinating to see the project when it is complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.