Wednesday 8 November 2023

The Jury is Out!

So, I saw a fabric bowl on Instagram, with an advert for a template for it.

I thought about it, decided that it couldn't be too hard, might make fun Christmas presents, and bought it.

I waited for a couple of weeks, and then the template and some rudimentary (and slightly confusing!) instructions arrived.

I gave it my best shot!

Shown here at the final stage of zig zagging the top edge to give it it's final shape and structure.  Binding clips going everywhere as I tried to manipulate the fabric ends to how I wanted them!

Here is the finished bowl.

I'm not sure that I really enjoyed all the process.

The way I did it was to sandwich two fabrics with Heat N Bond (you do that twice over, to make two 'star's that you then interlock and weave together).  I didn't use the suggestion of adding wadding, as then I'd have to zig zag both shapes completely, and I wasn't sure that I wanted to do that - but I can see that it would give a lovely structure to it.

It makes quite an attractive shape.  Mine has 'crown' points.  I think that the demonstration one has a straight edge.  It would be easier to stitch, but harder to wrangle the points into the right place, I think!
For those of you interested, this is the template that I used.  I cut squares of fabric and interlining at 8.5".

So, I think that it's a reasonable outcome, but the jury is out as to whether or not I make any more.  If you get one for your Christmas present you'll know that I decided to step up and make more!
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! I'd seen them on Pinterest and wondered if they would work for a class but I'm glad I didn't go ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.