Wednesday 8 March 2023

Loving Online Learning

I enjoy learning from other people - and the internet gives us amazing access to generous individuals who share all sorts of information.

This is my first attempt at sashiko, using a pattern and explanation (called Komezashi - Heart) by Zen stitching (www.zenstitching.ca) .  Their tag line is 'The art of mindful mending' - but what they offer seems to be more than that!

As you can see, I didn't mend with mine, just made a small wall hanging (approx 8" square) using the corner of a vintage tray cloth and some new Je Ne Sais Quoi print that I'd treated myself to recently.

My other on line learning was with a taster weekend with a new online teaching venture called The Thread House.  This particular class was by Karen Lewis, who taught us how to make a folded top pouch.  Turns out that I had just the right size lining fabric (the back of an old shirt) to make two, and the perfect outer fabric to pair with it.
Simple construction, you can fancy it up by using orphan blocks or adding applique to the outer layer - but this time I just went for the simplest option.
I even had a toning long scrap to make the bag ties out of.  It always makes me happy when that happens!


So, big thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge and time on line.  I sometimes sign up for longer courses or workshops - after all, these taster tutorials are often to showcase teaching styles so that you can see whether you enjoy it or not, and the people who are making this content need to make a living - or sometimes buy a book by the person.  I love the chance to try things out first, though.  Thanks!
 

1 comment:

  1. Love the sashiko, and the pouch is fab! So is the tie joined half way down the pouch?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.