Wednesday 1 March 2023

Fourth Orphan Block Project Complete

 



This time it was a small pile of hexagon fabrics that attracted the magpie within me!

First I sewed them into rosettes, then tried layouts with what a had until I was satisfied.

Then I had to sew them together - when I remembered why I wasn't, at heart, an English Paper Piecer!
Next I found a plain background fabric - luckily this pale green was not just the right shade, more or less, but also the right size.

I applied the lozenge of hexies onto the background - first pinning, then sewing around the outside edge with the sewing machine, taking out the tacked edge papers as I went.
Then it was time to flip it over and cut away the excess base fabric, exposing the rear of the hexies.
Time to take the rest of those papers out!
A simple job after that to back and baste it (it is a cot quilt, so I was even able to do this on the kitchen table!), quilt and bind it.

A finished quilt, roughly 33" x 42".

I'm pleased that it's complete - and pleased that I had almost exactly the right number of hexies supplied in order to make this layout.  Just six hexagons of fabric left, that will make a fun decoration on something else.......

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.