Wednesday 1 February 2023

First Orphan Project Complete!

So I showed you the orphan blocks that I'd picked up from my quilt group.

Here is my first completed project with them!

This applique is my response to the charming fabric that was used in the three blocks that I'd acquired.

Here is a reminder of the original.
I put them together with sashing - nature themed, but I hadn't got anything with more fungi or a woodland theme.

This would have made a cushion cover, but I remembered that I had a fleece on hand, so I thought that I'd extend it into a lap quilt size and see how I got on with making it into a two layer coverlet.

To be honest, I think that I've concluded that I don't really like it!  I felt inhibited from quilting it in the way that I usually would, and although it's joined securely on the vertical seams, I'm not sure that it would still lay flat if I went to work on it with some FMQ, or even some walking foot lines.

So, an interesting experiment resulting in a cosy lapquilt (and a scarf with the fleece off cut!), but not something that I'll repeat in a hurry!  I think that I like the stability of a woven third layer!

It finished at 44" square.
 

1 comment:

  1. Great save with the creation of the 4th block! I get on with the fleece backing but then I don't actually quilt so maybe that's the issue?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.