Wednesday 13 April 2022

Improv. Nine Patch

A few weeks ago I took a Zoom workshop with Brenda Gael Smith, on improv. crosses called 'The X factor'.  You might remember the tiny 4" quilt that I made at the time.

This is my full size quilt with my resulting blocks.

Although I have one 'x' in the very centre, most of my blocks are actually nine patch crosses, which were more economical with the fabric.  Several different techniques used.

I was using fabrics from my stash.  As I ran out of the paler background fabrics, I decided to stick with  the number that I'd made and add improv strips to two sides to make it roughly square - almost 60".
On the back I used some pale blue chambray, made to the right size with a floral strip.  I was pleased that this worked, as this gives it a link to another quilt that I made earlier in the year when the floral was used as the backing.  I wanted this, as it is destined for another friend - the third leg of a trio that dates back to when I was eight, and moved house and school.
I think that it's worked out OK.  I just hope that my friend likes it too!  It's quite a random gift to arrive out of nowhere, I realise!
This is the only 'flat' shot that I have of it (from when I was about to baste it).  You can see that I was aiming for a darker cross shape within the block layout, then with filled in darker corners too.

I'm just about to take it off to the Post Office.  Safe journey, latest quilt!
 

1 comment:

  1. I never realised there were so many ways to do crosses!!! It's a lovely quit!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.