Wednesday 3 March 2021

Starburst!

I've had fun making a simple quilt top this week.

To make a two colour quilt top, you could do this too.  

Take16 squares of a print and 16 squares of something contrasting (my squares were 10" square).

Place a pair of contrasting fabrics together and sew around all four edges of the square.  

Cut into four with two diagonal cuts.

Open out to show the 4 half square triangles, press and trim the 'dog ears' off.

Reapeat with all the squares that you have.

Put together 16 HSTs in this pattern - this makes a quarter of the quilt.

Sew them together.

Repeat three more times

Put together all four quarters - make sure that you pay attention to get the 'starburst' pattern.

Sew together and admire your quilt top!

I really like this colour combination, but every time I see it I'm reminded of my granny's 90th birthday, when one of my cousins bought her a t-shirt in these colours.  Funny how colour can bring back memories, just like smell can - that the birthday party was 45 years ago!

You could always make an alternative layout - but I don't think that this is as pleasing.

I haven't got any further than this - helping DH with a garden project has taken over for the moment, - but I really enjoyed this fun and fast quilt top that finishes like this, without borders, at 52" square.  You could easily add a border to bring the size up a little if you wanted to.

If you'd like to see a video of this pattern being made, hop over to Missouri Star Quilting Company to see it here.
 

2 comments:

  1. This is super Plum! So straightforward and yet so effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks a much easier way of doing HSTs! Love the starburst pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.