Tuesday 28 May 2019

Meadowland Quilt for a Natural Field

 I can't believe that I missed the 'Mental Health Awareness Week' deadline so badly, but, late as I am, I'd like to show you this (now complete) quilt and tell you a little about the charity that I've made it for.

The quilt is made with the Meadowland pattern by Then Came June.

Lots of cutting and mixing of fabrics, followed by some sewing to make these large blocks, and the quilt top came together quickly.  Four blocks square gives a 64" square quilt.
 Then there was quite a long pause as I decided how to quilt this.

As I was making it specifically for Dose of Nature - a charity which promotes which promotes engaging with the natural world in order to promote good mental health - I wanted it to have some nature motifs on it.

I settled on these loose flowers in the neutral centres of each block
 Then added more leaves and buds along the quilting meander.
 Random, just like nature.  I did wonder about trying to add some wild animals or bugs too, but decided that 1) it was beyond my skill set but 2) that didn't matter, as not everyone would like to snuggle with bugs or animals anyway!
Cute prints on the pieced back, and the quilt is finished!

So, please go along and read about Dose of Nature - the work that they do and the evidence that they have for proposing that we all try and spend more time with the natural world.  They have just moved to a base at Pensfold Field in Kew, which is a wonderful location. 

I have to declare an interest, as one of the founding trustees is my wonderful SiL.  I have her to thank for introducing me to Pensford Field, as I previously had no idea that it existed!

I wish everyone who is part of the charity all the best in their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.