Wednesday 6 January 2021

Working on a Quilt Top

I was given some fabric packs for my birthday (thank you, Nicky!) and chose this project ages ago, but hadn't got very far with it.

It's a pattern by FatQuarterShop.com called Layer Cake Crumble and you can find it here.

You start by pairing fabrics and sewing down the left and right hand sides before cutting them into nine sections.

My squares were 9", so I cut them at 

3.5" + 2" + 3.5" in each direction.

Then you open up the sewn sections, spin the middle side ones around, and sort out the narrow strips too.
When you sew them, you make one extended 15 patch and one narrow 3 patch strip.
I used 30 fabrics to make these 15 blocks and 15 strips.

You then lay them out switching which end the narrow strips are placed so that the larger blocks are off set.
 

This is as far as I've got - but the layout can't be on the floor for long, as my sewing room is still being a more shared space, with schooling and other things going on in here too!

1 comment:

  1. I haven’t seen that method before - very clever! Hope the home schooling is going ok xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.