Wednesday 23 January 2019

The Same but Different!

 I made Leah Day's 'two-for-one' rainbow star quilts this week - pattern here.  I adjusted the size to make them slightly larger, so mine are 36" square.

Can you see that I stacked and sewed the pieces wrong for the rainbow, though? Doh!

Of course, as you are making all the HSTs at the same time, the second quilt was also going to be wrong.
 I decided to switch the colour blocks around a little in this one, so at least it didn't look so much like a wrong rainbow!
It would have been better if I'd been able to make the two pairs of warmer colours opposite each other, but I couldn't figure out how to do it with the pieces that I had.  Sigh! 

Never mind.  I've learned a lot, made two little quilts for Project Linus, and have a good idea for another quilt that I'd like to make using similar ideas.  Not bad!
 The first quilt I quilted with a large stipple.
 The second quilt with a 'loop the loop' pattern.
 Love this giraffe backing fabric - I just bought 10m of it, so expect to see more of it this year!

I was also pleased that the lime green spot binding picks up on some lime green in the pattern, although it doesn't show that here.
Finally, if you have a chance to get to Winter Lights at Canary Wharf one evening this week (5 - 10pm until Saturday 26th Jan) , then do go.  Its magical!  My DDs and I were captivated by almost all 30 of the light sculptures on show, and very pleased with the food trucks for our supper too!

1 comment:

  1. I think your quilts look lovely. And, had you not mentioned it, I would not have thought there was not a rainbow there.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.