Wednesday 29 March 2017

More Progress!

 The bunting that I made last week is up!  It reaches all around the kitchen (or at least, the half with the table in it!).  I'm pleased with it - and more importantly, so is the birthday girl!
 I spent a day baking.  There was a four layer birthday cake (four complete cakes - chocolate, lemon, orange and coconut).  There were 96 vanilla mini muffins.  There were 96 double chocolate mini muffins.  There were 36 lemon cupcakes.  That was a lot of cake!  Should I confess now that actually I'd got a bit muddled in my head and that I didn't really mean to make 96 of each flavour of mini muffin, but 96 in total?  It all worked out OK though.  The girls at the party only left about 70 cakes, which I palmed off on a neighbour (thank you Sarah!) who took them to a cake sale to raise funds for Red Nose Day - a complete win-win situation!
 To tired for much sewing, but I've made progress on this representation of Hounds Tor on Dartmoor.
I have to be brave now and add figures to show my family, and perhaps a bit more stitching to describe some of the fault lines in the rocks.  I would also like to add some grass / ground but I'm not sure quite how to do that.  I might try some grass coloured stitches....
 I also spent a little time quilting spiraly things in the next border on my big quilt.  Unfortunately I think that I should have left it alone, as it's becoming even more of a 'what not to do' catalogue!  Not only tucks in it, but that big puffy bar between the two areas of border quilting.....  must do better!
Even worse?  This side wasn't well basted, obviously, and I didn't realise that I'd folded the edge of the backing under until I'd quilt a chunk of it!  You have to laugh, don't you?

Needless to say I will spend a little time with the unpicker before I make any further progress on this!

I'm still excited about it.  These swirly borders are the outside edges on the sides, so I really feel that I'm making good headway on the quilting now.  I shall make as much progress as I can before the school holidays start.

1 comment:

  1. I've just done that too, quilted over folded backing. Grrr - but luckily mine was just a few straight lines, not fancy spirals like you did. but, as you say, it must be unpicked, and redone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.