Wednesday 14 November 2012

All together now!

Not suggesting we all sing (although that would be nice, something rousing with a good chorus would be nice) but telling you that the FMQ samples are neatly put together as a sample quilt and hanging on a newly created bit of wall space (following redecoration and the purchase of a new cupboard.....).  It may not stay there forever, but it fills the space in a pleasing manner at the moment!

I don't think that I've properly tried 'quilt as you go' before.  My way of doing it (zig-zag the squares together, cover this seam with narrow tape on the back by sewing down both sides, then add the 'sashing' at the front by sewing down each side of it) seems secure and fast, but not desperately attractive from the back.  I'm not sure that doing it this way is something that I'd want to take on to larger quilts, but it's interesting to try.

As you can see, I still can't work out why Blogger is splitting my photos....I've tried re-sizing (reducing the pixels in each direction) - this is 1/4 of the usual picture that I use - but to no avail.  I might try photos from my phone next time to see if that makes any difference.

There have been other minor sewing projects this week - using an embroidery machine gifted to my DDs by the lovely Benta, and sewing Christmas felt ornaments with Richmond and Kew Quilters on Monday evening.  No photos to show either yet, though - perhaps next week when they are looking a bit more finished!

I've also spent a little time on GIMP - a freeware image manipulation programme - following the first class with Sharon Boggon who is offering a course for textile design.  I'm quite excited about it!

Hope that you are enjoying some sewing or other creative time!

3 comments:

  1. Your samples look lovely Plum! So detailed and pretty. I would love to see them for real. Looking forward to seeing your other projects soon. I have finished my final sample for module 5 - yay and dance around the room! Just need to blog about it, put it in the presentation and crack on with the portfolio now :-) How is mod. 6 going? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. Don't know this method of quilt as you go!
    Sounds bit complicated. Finished thing looks fine though.
    Annabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it looks lovely! I keep having o remind myself that these are the same blocks, not white ones after the coloured ones, LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.