Monday 17 October 2011

Button Crazy!

I've done some more work on the buttons that I'd started last week, and started a few more too - I've gone button crazy!

 This is what 'button 1' turned into once I'd added more bullion stitches and french knots in variegated threads.
 Out of order - this is button number three and my least favourite so far.  I need to try the lacy edge stitch again, this time with the instructions in front of me, instead of trying to remember them whilst waiting in a coffee shop for the girls to finish their activities!
 This is what 'button 2' turned into - lots of french knots again, and I've called it 'mossy pools'.
 Another french knot fiesta - Sea Spray.
And one that looks like maggots growing.  Good practice, but not a thing of beauty, more scientific interest!

I think that my next button adventures might include beads or tiny other buttons (although a button decorated with buttons is approaching Simon's reason for not ever planting onion setts - planting an onion to grow an onion just feels wrong, and I'm not sure that buttons decorating buttons, pretty though they may be, might just feel a bit wrong to me!).

So have I just spent the week making buttons?  Pretty much.  A couple of blocks (one machine sewn, one hand sewn) for my C&G course, and that's it.  On the other hand I have managed some sketching, some tidying of the craft room, and lots of extra sleep, so it hasn't all been bad!

Happy stitching!

3 comments:

  1. Simons onion argument is similar to Brian's description of our hobby - buying fabric and cutting it up to sew back together again! The buttons are great. I bought my fabric today for the class! Yippee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plum, these colourways are so restful to look at, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your buttons, so pretty! I can see how you could get addicted to making them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.