Wednesday 6 October 2010

It's all about the loops.....



I decided to sign up for a five week long Jewellery Making course at my local library. An unlikely choice for someone who wears a stone wedding ring (not very tolerant of metals, which make me very itchy and sore)and can't remember when she last wore jewellery. Still, I thought that I might be able to make some interesting embellishments for quilts (!) or cards.

I've revised my opinions. I now think that I can make Christmas presents and small bits of loveliness to give away to all sorts of people. Based on my one lesson so far I've seen what lovely items there are, and have purchased some bits and bobs from eBay - mostly charm bracelets and kilt pins, but some extra beads, crimp beads, tiger tail and findings too to supplement the fabulous kit that we were given.

The lovely Raquel was both friendly and patient. She took us through the basics that had been provided in the kit, showed us lots of examples of her work and then let us loose to start making, whilst staying on hand to answer questions as soon as we had them. We could choose our techniques, and I made three pairs of fairly even earrings: one pair using tiger tail and crimp beads, two pairs using pins. The key lesson this week was forming lovely even, tight loops that won't fall off the earring findings.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the course!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Plum, what a nice surprise!
    I'm really glad that you're enjoying it.
    I definitely am, specially because you ladies are a "fine lot".
    Keep up the great work, jewellery making and quilting!
    See you next Tuesday for another session of therapeutic beading.
    Raquel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.