Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Addicted to Finishes!
These batik blocks had been hanging around for ages - I made them so long ago that I can't even remember when! Clearly leftovers from a Jelly Roll - I'm guessing from about 5 years ago - they must have been aging in my scrap drawer since then.
When I put them up on the design wall I could see why I hadn't got any further with making anything with them. The blocks were just too 'mushy'. Most of patches within them don't have sufficient contrast to show the piecing - grrr!
I thought that some sashing might help them. Of course, I forgot (AGAIN!) that although I *think* that this fabric is mostly black, it doesn't 'read' as black! I only have tiny scraps of this left now, so at least I won't be able to get it wrong another time. Even so, it doesn't look too bad with these bright blocks - at least there is a colour contrast even if there is no tone contrast!
I bound it in orange print - nice and cheerful - and quilted it with orange thread too. Having never been a big fan of orange before I've been enjoying it recently, since making the quilt including some for my SiL.
Great to have another finish. This one is 36" square and will probably go to Project Linus.
Hope that you are enjoying some pre-Halloween sewing too!