Wednesday 25 November 2015

Developing a Technique

 I'm a member of a fabric postcard swap group - an offshoot of the well established BQL (British Quilters List) - and each year I take part in a birthday swap.  I get lovely cards on my birthday, and in return I make cards during the year for others in the swap.

Sometimes it's difficult to come up with a new idea, sometimes there is a technique that I want to explore and this is a good chance to do that.
 These are the cards that I've made this month, in the order that I made them, exploring adding stitching to a photo printed on fabric.

The pier for Avril I liked (you can't really see the silver thread that gave a little twinkle to it, trying to replicate the lights coming on at dusk, but it's there!).  I'm not happy with the clouds that I added, though (sorry Avril!).

I liked the sky better on this 'London Postcard' but it was hard to judge how many lines to add to the buildings
This winter scene was my final go at this - and again, the silver doesn't really show up in the photo, but I think that the technique worked well on this.

So, what have I learned?  That the starting photo needs to have a strong focus (and that it might be easier if the main focus is in the foreground), that layers of thread work well if the shades are similar, that the fabric photo and wadding need an additional support for the quilting (paper or interfacing work well) and that its lots of fun!

I've printed onto fabric before, and clearly, I've quilted before, but never combined the two quite like this.  I'd really recommend it as a light hearted and easy way to create something interesting!

I'm off to work on hand finishing the binding for my current little quilt.  Enjoy your crafting this week!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh Plum these are soooo lovely. What a joy it will be for those quilters to receive them in the mail. Love all 3 but the London Post card jumps out at me it could be any where in the world. What a great way to make up some thing when you a re learning a new quilting skill. Hugs Glenda where sit is 10pm and still 27C !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the clouds Plum. They added a quirkiness ( spelling?) to the much more regular lines below.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are fabulous--I would love to learn this technique for Christmas Cards....I think your silver thread really make them....all three are lovely but
    if i had to choose a favorite the third one would be mine...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.