Wednesday 15 July 2015

Dear Jane Dilemma

 I don't understand it.   Apparently the phrase 'standing on the edge of history' is rather too grand, in the opinion of my family, to describe coming to the end of making the last of my Dear Jane squares!


 I'm not sure that it was grand enough.  A twelve year journey condensed into a 13 x 13 square of blocks!
 These were the last ones to be made.
 And here it is, sashed.

Naturally I found that I hadn't got enough of the sashing fabric to add the last two narrow borders to frame it, so I went and bought something fairly similar, but still different.  All in the spirit of this scrappy creation.

However, I have a dilemma.  I have the (almost) perfect place in mind to hang the quilt when it's finished. It's the *almost* that's a problem.  The space (which is nearly finished - the window should go in later today) isn't *exactly* perfect.
It isn't as wide as the quilt.  So, before I baste and quilt this piece I have a decision to make.

Should I do the nearly unthinkable and shuffle the layout so that I have a rectangular quilt?  It would mean losing four blocks from it, turning the quilt into an 11 x 15 block quilt.  It feels wrong to be doing that in one way (the 'rule keeper' way) but right to make something that fits my space (the pragmatic, excited to display way).  What would you do?

8 comments:

  1. WOW that is so stunning, do not, repeat do not change a thing! You will regret doing that, Just finish it off. And you have inspired me to find all, my off cuts of fabrics!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing all the blocks, that is not small accomplishment. Reworking a long term master piece is a hard decision to make. . If you do decide to make it rectangular, you could use the 4 left over blocks on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the finish!!! It's certainly quite an achievement.

    The decision about the size IS a dilemma, isn't it? There's too much work in that quilt to not show it off, but what a shame to have to remove four blocks in order to be able to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Plum congratulations it looks so lovely lying on the bed. I would just leave it for a few days and keep think a little more about "What if I????????" What ever you do it will be the right thing for now. Hugs Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Plum, woohoo, big congratulations. In my view there are too many quilts not on display due to size constraints, so I would go with rectangular, and as said before use the "extra" ( note, not "removed" ) 4 blocks on the back. Whatever you decide, it will be right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt police are not going to show up and arrest you. If you need to rearrange the blocks to fit your space, do it! When I started piecing my Jane, I was very careful to make it exactly like the pattern. Now I've added my own little twists, small circles instead of those nasty, itty-bitty, tiny triangles. and some other small changes too but those changes label it as MY quilt.
    It is your quilt and only you can make the decision. After all the work, it will be a shame not to be able to display her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Plum, WOW. Standing on the edge of history INDEED!

    I know how you feel, especially with such a significant quilt but I have learnt to be pragmatic - make it fit where and how it will get the most use and enjoyment. That's my thoughts anyway. Your gut already knows. Go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh - from UFO to almost finished in a week - no statement is grand enough!!! A small cushion with the extras? Or a big mug rug ?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.