Thursday 25 November 2010

Projects getting ever smaller.....so I feel very lucky to get an award!


Hardly any sewing at all this week - in fact, no 'proper' sewing at all.  I've covered a synthetic handbag strap with cotton (in an effort to stop it chewing up my clothes), patched over patches on one of the sofa cushions, and spent a fun evening making jewellery and bag clasps with friends (no photos as I gave them all away the following day without taking any snaps first, sorry!).

I've promised a personalised quilted cushion cover as a silent auction lot for the school fair, though, so at least there is a chance for some more sewing this side of Christmas, which is ONLY ONE MONTH AWAY - and is, of course, the real reason why not much sewing has been happening - too much buying, wrapping and prevaricating!

But an award!  How lovely, thank you Benta (and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person for a quilter's playdate next week!)


The 'rules' are that I have to share 10 things that you don't already know about me - hard for me to guess whether any of these will be new to you or not, but I'll do my best to think of 10 things.

Despite being 1) born in Birkenhead, I have discovered  2) through family tree research that I had both map engravers based in London and a bookseller in Twickenham (where I live) in the mid 1800's.

When I was a child the only pets I had  3) were ducks.  As an adult the only pets in the household  4) are hens (that really belong to my two girls).

That 5) the best explanation I've found of what it is like to have ME / CFS (as I do) is actually written about Lupus.  Read what Christina Miserandino has to say - and then thank Sally Bramald for linking to it earlier in the year.

That 6) in an effort to mitigate the symptoms of ME / CFS I have tried all sorts of remedies, including (look away, scientists) magnets, crystals, patterns of red dots, magnesium injections and a macrobiotic diet to name but a few.  The only ones that have had a substantially beneficial effect so far have been 7) pregnancy and cranial osteopathy (I still see my osteopath every three weeks, but have no plans to have more children!).  I'm sure that one day there will be something else that will sort out ME / CFS and I continue to donate money to research into it in that hope.

That 8) I have never had any desire to go pot-holing but that 9) I have tried lots of other activities including parachuting, para sailing, paragliding, micro lighting, hot air ballooning, bungee jumping, climbing, white water rafting, driving a double decker bus, riding a camel, kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, snorkeling, and scuba diving (and I should really try and scan some of the photos!)

Finally, 10) I am lucky to have some very good friends, but my best friends of all are my husband, my brother and my sister who get me through the bad times and share the good times.  I am fortunate indeed to have them.

So, ten things that you may or may not have known about me before?  Fun to play along anyway, and to think just a little about what there is about me that helps make me the person I am now. 

3 comments:

  1. Hiya Plum, so excited to be meeting face to face next week! I am in awe of your bravery ... I could just about cope with driving a d.d.bus, but for the rest, I'd be the one holding coats and bags and taking photos!! And well done for being so positive through the ME, we have two friends who have really suffered but the positive streak seems a really good coping mechanism :-)

    Benta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Benta, Sorry to hear about your friends - give them a hug from me (but a gentle one if they are sore!). Thursday should be fun, shouldn't it?

    I've been corrected by my sister - apparently I was part of a household with not one but two cats for the first couple of years of my life. Apologies to Rusty and Smokey, but I really don't remember either of them!

    Plum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Plum, I had no idea you have ME/CFS. I also have it, and your list of random remedies really rang a bell with me, I tried almost anything that promised a cure or even some relief from this wretched illness. Learning to manage it seems to be the best we can hope for at the moment. I find having ME really helps me to find out what's important in my life - I have energy to sew but not to vacuum for example :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.