Wednesday 6 March 2019

Two Types of Finish!

 The first is a happy finish - you know the sort, when you finish a quilt and it says what you want it to and your work isn't too bad either?  Great, isn't it?

This is the quillow front - before I attached it to the quilt, but after I'd quilted it.
 I used a mixture of quilting techniques (and thread colours) on it.  Patterns based on the piecing in the centre, some FMQ stipple, some stitch in the ditch (very unusual for me, but this really needed it) and some loop the loop to complete it.  There is also a personal message 'hidden' - which is always fun to do!
 The quilt front, quilted and bound
 The back - it was three almost equal stripes in order to get the 57" width that I needed.
 Final picture, with the quilt neatly folded into itself - aren't quillows great?  I'm hoping that when this is gifted it is welcomed for what it is.
 The second type of finish is much sadder - the finish of a fabric postcard swap that I've been part of for several years.  We don't really have enough active members to carry it on in the same form, so these are (most of) the cards for our 'Farewell fling'. 

This lovely one is from Alice - suitable fabric and additions on both the front and the back.
 This cutie is from Inge - so clever with the face in the window and the fun 'front garden'.
 A special bonus from Jacquie - a beautifully made farewell gift, in the form of a lovely folio.  Just gorgeous!
 This was her farewell postcard to me.  Clever use of a machine decorative stitch and variegated thread produced a super card.
 This bright number with precise machine stitching and hand highlighting is from Pauline.  The photo doesn't do justice to the neon thread used - it is amazing!


This was my offering - or at least a generic sample of the cards that I made.  I printed paper, used dilute PVA to adhere it to a fine calico, then used it as fabric.  I used both machine and hand stitching as well as Inktense pencils and some additional embellishments to decorate them for each person that I sent to, then stiffened with buckram and backed with plain fabric.

Finally, this fun card from Rosemary - love the use of sewing themed fabrics!

Thank you everyone for being great swappers - both in this swap and over the previous years.  I shall miss all our fabric fun and the lovely post that we've shared.


1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.