Wednesday 14 June 2017

Scrap Quilt Finish!

 My 16 patches are sashed, bordered, backed, basted, quilted and bound!

I've also taken the chance to try a couple of outdoor quilt photos in this mornings sunshine.  I couldn't persuade our chicks to pose in the background of this first one, though, despite using the fence of their run.  They looked faintly bemused and went back to their dust baths!
 This shot shows the colour change between the centre four blocks and the others.  I'm pleased with that.
This shot shows off the square in a square highlights.

Overall the quilt is 45" square.  I originally intended to make the sashing and borders wider, but decided to live more or less within the constraints of  typical 'width of fabric'.  Of course, as I was adding the borders I realised that as I was making them with cornerstones I could have made them wider at least!  A lesson for next time!
 The quilting is a 'loop the loop' design based on something taught by Patsy Thompson.  I own one of her DVD's and was reminded of it by Avril recently.  A fun design!  Thanks for the reminder!

The backing is a bargain from IKEA.  I usually make a trip to see if there are any fabrics that I could use as a generic backing fabric once I run out of whatever I last bought - and although I don't love this as much as some of the prints that I've bought over the years, it's a lovely 56" wide blue grey fabric, which has a lot of appeal for me.
I had fun making the quilt.  As well as a scrappy top (and patchwork wadding) I decided to use all the part bobbins of threads that I had.  It feels very cleansing to have so many empty bobbins again.  I tend to have white, grey black and perhaps straw coloured threads on bobbins ready to go.  I would say that 80% of the time I use grey Aurifil for piecing, and quite often I use it for quilting too.

Time for me to go and start on the next scrap top!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful finish--I love the lavender centers framed by the turquoise outer squares...and those diamonds in the squares are perfect...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty quilt, I love the colors. So simple but so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Plum it looks lovely how quickly you have turned that quilt top in to a lovely quilted quilt. it is lovely Cheers Glenda PS great to see all those empty clean spools LOL PSS I'm still not able to send messages to your email ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to use up all sorts of scraps!!!! And a very cheerful quilt too! Well done - and boo to the camera shy chickens!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.