Saturday, 18 July 2015
I decided that it would be nice to have a quilt on display that fitted the space, so after some deliberation, and knowing the width of the space, decided that I would change the layout.
I knew that if I had the blocks just 10 columns across that they would fit in the width of wall that I had available. Great! So I would remove the other three columns and use them to create four more rows, with just one more block needed in order to do that.
I created this block. Totally unlike the Dear Jane blocks in execution, this is fusible applique with a little FMQ 'embroidery'.
I'm happy that it shows something that represents my family (I was pregnant with my first daughter when I started this quilt, now I have two wonderful girls of 12 and 10). It records the time that it took to make the blocks on the front of the quilt not just on a label on the back.
I sashed around this block with new sashing fabric to denote that it was different to the others. I re-jigged the other blocks to make my new rectangular quilt.
Just one error. You are probably familiar with the phrase 'measure twice, cut once'? Unfortunately, in my head I knew that the new wall under the window was HUGE, but the problem is that in real life it's not as huge as my quilt!!! Doh!
I'm still laughing at myself!
I've carried the quilt top around the house, and I still haven't got anywhere else big enough to put it up!
I'm going to end up with a 'Jane in Two Parts' - there will be two rows above the new window, 15 rows below. It is, I admit, an even more unconventional layout than I was thinking of earlier in the week (!) - but at least I get all the blocks on one wall.
Rods and brackets are ordered - I just need to get on with unpicking a seam and adding some more border strips so that I can get my (two for the price of one) quilts backed, basted, quilted, bound and finished!
I might just go and measure that wall again before I set to, though!
Wish me luck!